Apricot and Chickpea Tagine


I've had this in the slowcooker for most of the day, let me tell you it was worth the wait! 

This dish as a base is completely vegan. However, I opted to add some shredded chicken I had in the fridge! 

This comfortably fed 3 adults with a side of wild rice.

As always, my recipes are more guidelines. I kinda go with the flow, you'll know when it's done as it thickens and all the flavours have had chance to mingle! 

Ingredients 

250g chickpeas - this can be a tin of chickpeas. Alternatively boil 125g of dried chickpeas for around 20 mins and then simmer until cooked (roughly 45 mins)
1 onion 
3-4 garlic cloves
Pinch of chilli flakes
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ground ginger
Handful of chopped dried apricots 
1 can of chopped tomatoes 
Handful of fresh coriander 
250ml veg stock - I opted for kallo low salt 

How to do

I started by thinly slicing the onion. I popped some oil in my slow cooker and minced the garlic. I then added the onion, garlic, chilli, tumeric and ginger. I stirred until combined and popped the lid on. Set it on high and stirred every so often for around 30-40 mins. Until the onion had softened. 

Then, I added everything else! Be sure to empty the chickpeas into a strainer and rinse throughly before adding. But add the chickpeas, dried apricots, chopped tomatoes, veg stock. I grabbed a handful of fresh coriander and just ripped it up and added it in. Stalks included! 

I kept this on high for around 4 hours, checking and stirring regularly. 

It was at this point I added some shredded chicken leftover from some chicken drumsticks I had. However, this is completely optional! Omit the chicken and it will still be delicious! 

I popped some wild rice on boil for around 20-22 mins and then served! 

Top with some more coriander for a boujee look.


Comments

Popular Posts